I am not an avid reader. I used to read a shit ton more and for years I only listened to books. These were the years of sleepless nights with young children and the strong desire to nap versus doing anything else. I listened to books in the car mostly via my CD player and I was a regular at the library checking out weeks worth at a time for my listening pleasure. A good murder mystery was always my jam! I still love a good “who done it” and the twists and turns that come with the suspense of it all.
2018 was the year that more than ever I dove into personal development, reading more about the betterment of my own life. I sprinkled in a novel or two to mix things up and I was reading more real books versus listening to them. (Audible is my listening pleasure now, putting up the CD’s and visiting the local library less)
Here are a few of my favorites of 2018:
1.You Are a Badass at Making Money: Master the Mindset of Wealth by Jen Sincero – Reading the Badass books felt like reading a self help book from a best friend. It helps that she drops the f-bomb a few times and is not shy about a good cuss word. Jen Sincero is vulnerable and real; achieving her level of success all the time opening up, embracing her true self and being real, this inspired me to do the same. Jen’s second book, the one mentioned above was my favorite of the two I have read.
2. The Game of Life and How to Play It by Florence Scovel Schinn – I have owned this book for several years, have read it more than I can count and have gifted it just as many if not more but 2018 was the year the words really sunk in and made an impact in my life.
“I have noticed, in “casting the burden,” after a little while, one seems to see clearly. It is impossible to have clear vision, while in the throes of carnal mind. Doubts and fear poison the mind and body and imagination runs riot, attracting disaster and disease.” ~ Florence Scovel Schinn
3. The Champagne Diet by Cara Alwill Leyba – I read this book the first time I traveled on my own. It was not in 2018 but it did have an impact on me as one of the first books to influence my team name and my mindset around personal development and my health.
4. The Law of Attraction by Michael Losier – You can not even discuss the idea of changing your life without changing your mindset: Enter The Law of Attraction
5. Girl, Wash Your Face by Rachel Hollis – this young woman revolutionized real talk next to my girl Jen Sincero. I love how real and raw Rachel Hollis is as well, she could be my sister from another mister.
6. Get Rich Lucky Bitch by Denise Duffield-Thomas – I can’t tell you how long this book sat in my Amazon shopping cart, month after month. I took it as a sign to finally read it when it showed up in my Sparkle Hustle Grow box. My biggest lesson from this read is about forgiveness.
8. The Dip by Seth Godin – teaching me when to quit. Literally. It’s a small yet mighty book. Don’t let the size fool you, the hour or two you take to read it will be time well spent.
9. The 5 Second Rule by Mel Robbins – 5. 4. 3. 2. 1. READ IT. Get off your bum, run to buy it and READ IT. This book changed my perception of my own life. I listened to this book on a road trip (thank you Audible) and quickly bought the hard copy to keep on hand.
10. The Miracle Morning by Hal Enrod – This guys morning routine is one reason why he is a huge success. I don’t follow his routine to the letter but I have developed a morning routine that works for me based off of this book. How you start your day WILL effect your entire day and your life. Trust me on this one.
That leads me to a sneak peek of what I am currently reading and how this addition to my library is locking in my habits and helping with all of my routines. I am currently reading High Performance Habits by Brendon Burchard.
I can not tell a lie; the first time I started to read this book I hated it, like I wanted to throw it out the window. Who were these nuts that raved about this book? To me, it reads like a text book and I am not prepared to go back to school! There was so much hype about the book that I had to give it another go so let me tell ya how I am making it through: I listen to it while reading it! It has been a game changer! I actually love hearing Brendon’s voice while I follow along (highlighter in hand). I still read it in snippets, it’s not the kind of book that keeps you on the edge of your seat (read #1 and #5 above for that – I couldn’t put either down) but it is a book I am thoroughly enjoying and learning from. Our daily habits and the tasks we create to achieve our goals are key to our excellence.
“Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but we rather have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.” ~ Aristotle
This is one of many books that is influencing how my 2019 is starting, along with the ten I already shared. Stay tuned to this space and follow my blog to find out what my 2019 reading list looks like!
Peace, Love & Cheers!